The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid is a riveting and captivating novel that explores the life of a legendary Hollywood actress, Evelyn Hugo. With its rich storytelling and compelling characters, this book is filled with memorable quotes that encapsulate the essence of Evelyn Hugo’s journey. Here are 5 quotes from the book that shed light on the theme of love and relationships:
1. “Don’t ignore half of me so you can fit me into a box. Don’t do that.” – Evelyn Hugo
This quote emphasizes the importance of being accepted and loved for one’s complete and authentic self. Evelyn refuses to be confined by societal expectations and urges others to embrace her complexities.
2. “Don’t ignore the past, but do not dwell on it either.” – Evelyn Hugo
Evelyn recognizes the significance of acknowledging one’s past experiences without allowing them to define the present. This quote serves as a reminder to learn from the past but not let it hinder personal growth.
3. “You have to find a job that makes your heart feel big instead of one that makes it feel small.” – Evelyn Hugo
Here, Evelyn highlights the importance of pursuing passion and finding fulfillment in one’s career. This quote encourages readers to prioritize their own happiness and well-being in their professional lives.
4. “People think that intimacy is about sex. But intimacy is about truth. When you realize you can tell someone your truth, when you can show yourself to them, when you stand in front of them bare and their response is ‘you’re safe with me’ – that’s intimacy.” – Evelyn Hugo
This powerful quote redefines the concept of intimacy, emphasizing the significance of emotional vulnerability and trust in relationships. It reminds us that true intimacy goes beyond physical connections.
5. “Sometimes reality comes crashing down on you. Other times reality simply waits, patiently, for you to run out of the energy it takes to deny it.” – Evelyn Hugo
This quote serves as a reminder that facing reality is inevitable and that denying it only prolongs the inevitable. Evelyn’s words encourage readers to confront their own truths and embrace the complexities of life.
In addition to these quotes from The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, here are 7 other quotes that touch upon similar themes:
1. “Love is a game that two can play and both win.” – Eva Gabor
2. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin
3. “The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” – Victor Hugo
4. “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” – Dave Meurer
5. “Love is a partnership of two unique people who bring out the very best in each other and who know that even though they are wonderful as individuals, they are even better together.” – Barbara Cage
6. “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.” – Nat King Cole
7. “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul; that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.” – Nicholas Sparks
Now, let’s turn our attention to some valuable advice provided by professionals who relate to the themes and messages in The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. Here are 13 points of great advice to inspire and motivate:
1. “Embrace your true self and don’t be afraid to show it to the world.” – Jennifer Lopez, Actress and Singer
2. “Find a career that aligns with your passions and values – it will bring you true fulfillment.” – Oprah Winfrey, Media Mogul
3. “Build relationships based on trust and vulnerability, as they are the foundation of true intimacy.” – Esther Perel, Psychotherapist and Author
4. “Don’t let societal expectations dictate your choices – follow your heart and live authentically.” – Ellen DeGeneres, Comedian and TV Host
5. “Face reality head-on and learn from it, as denying the truth only hinders personal growth.” – Brené Brown, Researcher and Author
6. “Cherish the unique qualities and differences in your relationship – they make it stronger.” – Michelle Obama, Former First Lady
7. “Love is a journey of growth and compromise – embrace the challenges and grow together.” – John Legend, Singer and Songwriter
8. “Remember that love is not a destination but a continuous effort – keep nurturing and investing in your relationship.” – Esther Hicks, Author and Speaker
9. “Don’t be afraid to take risks in love and relationships – they can lead to great rewards.” – Reese Witherspoon, Actress and Producer
10. “Accept and love yourself first, as it sets the foundation for healthy and fulfilling relationships.” – RuPaul, Drag Queen and TV Personality
11. “Communication is key – be open, honest, and vulnerable with your partner.” – Dr. John Gottman, Psychologist and Relationship Expert
12. “Celebrate and appreciate the small moments of love and connection in your everyday life.” – Dalai Lama, Spiritual Leader
13. “Learn from past relationships and mistakes, but don’t let them define your future.” – Dr. Maya Angelou, Author and Activist
In summary, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a thought-provoking novel that delves into the complexities of love, relationships, and personal growth. Through memorable quotes and the advice of professionals, it encourages readers to embrace their true selves, face reality with courage, and nurture meaningful connections. This book serves as a reminder that love, intimacy, and self-discovery are lifelong journeys that require vulnerability, acceptance, and continuous effort. Ultimately, it inspires us to live authentic lives and cherish the relationships that bring us joy and fulfillment.